Saturday, September 15, 2012

Nothing to hide, I’m a proud single mother – Waje



Since she first captured attention after featuring on PSquare’s 2008 hit track Do Me, Nigerian RnB singer,  Waje, has gone ahead to make a name for herself. This includes being the voice behind the chorus on Banky W’s Thief my Kele  andM.I’s One Naira.

Despite being an active player in the male-dominated music scene such as ours, the leggy singer continues to hold her own. Surprisingly, she attributes her staying power to support from the female folk.

 “I was brought up to be strong. There were times I felt as if I couldn’t make it. It is that strength that pushed me the extra mile. In fact, whatever I am afraid of, I put behind me and push. I have also learnt to sing out my experiences and that of others. That is how my songs like So Inspired were born,” she says.

In an industry where stars are quick to keep certain aspects of their private life, far away from the prying eyes of the public, the singer is open about the fact that she is a single mother.

“There is nothing to hide. I am a proud mother. I have a strong support system that helps me in my role as a mother. I don’t look at them as limitations, they are challenges that can be overcome.  Genevieve Nnaji, is a strong woman who has built a solid reputation for herself globally. She is also a single mother, I respect that a lot,” she says.

For Waje, no question is out of bounds, save for her love life. However, in between the chat, she reveals that she is die-hard romantic especially when it comes to the matters of the heart.

“I am romantic o! You will know from my songs. I believe in ‘happily ever after’, in true love and all that goodness!” she adds with a wide smile.

Lately, the singer spots a svelte look-one that has led to critics saying that she is under pressure to look and dress a certain way to remain relevant in the industry. With the wave of a hand, Waje debunks the claims as mere talk.

She says, “I used to be relaxed and a little biased about my appearance. As I have grown as a musician so much has changed. I have come to the full realisation that I am a brand with moral, social and commercial value. I have to live up to that, there are a lot of young girls today that need to see that hard work and confidence will get you where you want. I have to embody that. I have to be able to stand at par with contemporaries across the world. I would love to stand beside a Beyonce with confidence.”

In a little under five years, she lists a major highpoint of her career as the joy derived from the fact that the saying ‘Soul music would not be appreciated in this part of the world’, has been disregarded.

“Even, I have been surprised by the response to my music. It has been like a movement,’’ she quips.
Despite the trappings associated with being in the spotlight, she says she cannot regret the gift of being famous except the fact that there can be too much intrusion into ones privacy at times.

Fresh from the performing at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards in the US,  Waje admits being humbled by the level of appreciation of her music across the shores of Nigeria.

“When I did So inspired, a woman called me crying whilst saying that the song told her story. In New- York recently, I performed I wish and all the ladies were singing along. The support of women has brought me this far and I’m grateful for it,” she recalls.

With a debut album scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2013 and a number of singles currently enjoying airplay across the country, the singer,  who has a degree in Social Work from the University of Nigeria, says she is not in a hurry.

“This is deliberate, it is because I want the material I present to be perfect. There are also other surprises, my lips are sealed for now but people should expect so much!” she  notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment