Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ali Baba locks horns with critics



Ace comedian Ali Baba is in the news again. The celebrated rib-cracker has had to contend with recent remarks concerning his failed marriage to former beauty queen, Patricia Leon.


It is no longer news that he was previously married to Leon who used to ply her trade at Multichoice. Many years his senior, the marriage did not stand the test of time as the duo parted ways.

Peeved at recent reports labelling him a gigolo, the gifted comedian took to the social networking site, Facebook, to clear himself of all the allegations once and for all. The statement published on his page also contained some details of his failed marriage.

Excerpts from the note reads: “I moved to Lekki Phase 1 in ’99. In 2000, I was introduced to the presidency and I moved into the N1m per show bracket. No be GOD?

“I married Patricia Leon about that time. She was at the time working with Multichoice and lived in a 2 Studio apartment on Opebi, behind Niteshift. Without being specific with figures, let’s just say her monthly take home was below N100k. Now this was at the time when I had started charging between N500k and N800k (depending on negotiating skills). Don’t also forget that besides Mohammed Danjuma and may be two others, I was the first call for events. I was busy.

“I was therefore able to give my wife, without breaking a sweat, a monthly salary the same with what she got as a staff of Multichoice. She cashed her cheques at the UBA on Aboyade Cole. That was besides other bills at home and her wardrobe. That is what a husband is supposed to do. And I did it well. I must add that even after we parted ways, I still provided for her... Up till a point. Now, that point was when I read an interview that painted me like a gigolo. And I stopped being a nice guy.

“I know some of you are going (to ask), ‘who cares whether you took care of her or not?’ Apparently, some people did. Those who undermine my hard work and prefer to believe I lived off Patricia Leon. Usually, when I try to set the records straight, friends will say, let them say what they want to say. Sadly, the lies are taking on true colours. Some now say it was Pat that made me. You better not give God’s glory to man or else you will answer for it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment