Saturday, October 29, 2011

Onyeka loses mum



One of  Africa’s most successful female musicians of all time, Onyeka Onwenu, is a sad woman. The elegant stallion as the Imo State born crooner is better known is devastated following the death of her mother Madam Hope Onwenu.

A Community leader and former Choirmaster of the Anglican Church in Lagos Mama Onyeka who would have turned 93 years old on January 6, 2012, died on Saturday, October 22, in Anambra State.

Mama according to family source had had lived a very fulfilling life and was enjoying the best of health before death came calling.

But in the words of Onyeka Mama’s final hours were enveloped in joy and happiness.
“I spent  the whole Wednesday, October 18 with her, plaiting her hair and even revisiting one of her woman’s classic compositions, Ochie Dike Nnem with her”.

Narrating what exactly happened that day, the songstress said in a text message she sent to this writer , “We sang Ochie Dike  Nnem, the song she wrote for her own mother and we sang praises to God in our usual manner. She slept off and I left.

I promised to come back on Tuesday. But I have been praying ever since, that if it was her time, that God will take her away gently and peacefully in her sleep. That is exactly what happened.

I give all the glory to my God. May my mother’s indomitable spirit rest in perfect peace. Ochie Dike, ka Omesia. Dalu nnem. I love you” she said in an emotion laden voice.

Her burial plans will be announced in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment